My Guide Website?
New Orleans: Secret Historical Garden District Audio Tour
Marvel at the historic district’s mansions and eccentric home-owners on this self-guided audio tour. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through New Orleans.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in New Orleans:If youʻre booking your trip to New Orleans last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- New Orleans: 2 & 3 Days Hop-On Hop-Off Bus with Walking Tour
- New Orleans: Oak Alley Plantation & Airboat Swamp Combo Tour
- New Orleans: Walking Tour Inside St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
- New Orleans: Adults Only Ghost Tour w/ Haunted Bldg Access
- From New Orleans: Whitney Plantation Ticket & Transportation
- Visit the crown jewels of New Orleans architecture, The Garden District
- Hear from local tour guide, David Hedges, what makes this are unique
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
DescriptionNew Orleans’ Garden District is a delightful neighborhood characterized by beautiful antebellum homes and lush gardens. It’s also been home to a few eccentrics, scandalous souls, and some of the city’s most rich and famous residents. On this walking tour, we'll pull back the curtain to this unique neighborhood and show you why it should be on everyone’s New Orleans bucket list. Starting outside the Rink Shopping Center, you’ll make your way down the neighborhood’s picturesque streets, before finishing your walk outside Lafayette Cemetery. Along with hearing about the city’s architecture, you’ll also hear about some of the area’s famous former residents. Take a look at and hear about the Italianate mansion once owned by novelist Ann Rice and later by actor Nicolas Cage. But this tour isn’t all mansions and megastars. I’ll also tell you about the city’s role in slavery, share its place in the Civil War, and reveal the reason so many stunning buildings survived the destruction of the war. On this New Orleans tour, you’ll have a chance to take in: • Buckner Mansion, the largest house built before the Civil War, made famous by its appearance in the TV show American Horror Story • New Orleans Opera Guild Home, a beautiful example of an 1850 Greek Revival Double Gallery which made an appearance in the Oscar-winning film Django Unchained • The breathtaking Swiss Chalet style house owned by Sandra Bullock • Pritchard-Pigot House, which resembles a frat house • The Seven Sisters houses, which weren’t built by a father wanting his seven daughters to live side-by-side, as some might have you believe • Montgomery-Hero House, constructed for the president of the Crescent City Railroad, Archibald Montgomery • Walter Grinnan Robinson House, the first home to feature indoor plumbing, decades before New Orleans sewage system, where a rain collection tank was installed on the roof Perhaps it’s your first time visiting New Orleans, or you’re a local looking to take a deeper dive into one of the city’s most famous neighborhoods. Either way, this Garden District tour will leave you with a deeper appreciation for the area and its history.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.